Published: Tuesday, October 30, 2007
3 men hurt in fall from scaffold
The three were repairing a chimney on a house in Warren.
WARREN The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has been called in to investigate an apparent accident in which three men fell about 30 feet from a scaffold.
The three, whose names are not being released, were repairing a chimney at 366 Mahoning Ave., across the street from city hall, when they fell shortly before noon Monday.
Two were taken to Forum Health Trumbull Memorial Hospital and one to St. Joseph Health Center.
Mike Matheny, owner of Chimney Professionals of Cortland, who had a subcontractor repairing chimneys at the house, said one of the men was released after treatment, one had a large gash in his head and the other had leg injuries.
A spokeswoman for TMH said one of them was released and the other who was doing better than expected remained in the hospital late Monday evening.
Bob Sorber Jr., whose son's company was painting the house, was standing in the driveway when the three fell. Two men on ground were not injured.
"I stood here. I got on the phone and called 911," Sorber said. "It was ugly."
Sorber said the scaffolding was tied off to the house with a wooded bridge connecting the scaffold to the house. The tie apparently broke, he added.
The scaffold did not fall over because it was stopped by a large tree at the side of the house.
Matheny said he subcontracted the work to a Mahoning County company.
John Tremsyn of Chagrin Falls said he bought the house built in 1876 about two months ago. He was having it remodeled to live in when he moves to Warren.